- OSS - ###
- ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) - libasound2
- NAS (Network Audio Sound) - libaudio2
- esd (Enlightened Sound Daemon) - esound
A sound server that allows multiple sound sources to share a single
output device. Presumably the back-end is something straightforward
like /dev/dsp, which is provided by the kernel support in
the form of either OSS or ALSA.
- aRts - ###
- libao - libao2
According to the documentation, "Supports ESD, OSS, Solaris, IRIX,
and several others"; but the back-end libraries provided by the
Debian package are
essentially the same list as SDL.
(What are "Solaris" and "IRIX" in terms of sound support?
Presumably operating-system specific back-ends, analogous to OSS and
ALSA on their respective platforms.)
- SDL (Simple DirectMedia Layer) - libsdl1.2debian
Exists in the following variants:
- but not libao, which looks like a missed opportunity.
- OpenAL - ###
See also the Debian packages
and the JACK Audio Connection Kit (JACK),
PulseAudio and ZINF.